November’s update is an interesting one for those of us that really enjoy programming challenges – it includes a lot of behind-the-scenes upgrades and enhancements. The systems that will be impacted by this update are:
- Bistro Core (184.108.40.206)
- Blog (1.4)
- Login Access System (1.3)
- Member Access System (1.5)
- Menu Manager (1.9)
- Online Store (1.15)
- Product Catalog (1.2)
- Testimonials Manager (1.6)
More specifically, this update incorporates a new core sytem called the Core Extension System. This allows us to upgrade Bistro with new components that lay dormant in a website until they are needed in the future. The primary purpose of this right now, is that we’re migrating a lot of the e-commerce functions that were previously only available in the Online Store, and centralizing them – which will allow other Bistro modules and features to incorporate e-commerce functionality. More Specifically, this will allow us to complete a Registration List module that will allow site owners to sell registrations to online classes, memberships and events.
Beyond this, additional updates include:
- Online store products can now include a “custom message” as part of purchasing a product (e.g. “Enter your name to be engraved on this product”)
- The Member Access System can optionally email administrators when members update their profiles
- the Blog module’s Search Engine Optimization features were upgraded
Our next update should be coming out on Dec 10th, and will be focussing on more outward-facing feature upgrades.